Wednesday, Oct. 18: PRSA Miami & Fort Lauderdale Joint Mixer
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Frankey's Sports Bar, The Village at Gulfstream Park
Never has networking been so much fun! Members and friends of PRSA’s Miami and Greater Fort Lauderdale chapters will meet in the middle at Frankey's Sports Bar for yummy apps, signature cocktails and stimulating conversation. Not to mention exciting chances to win gift certificates to Adena Grill and Wine Bar and Frankey’s Sports Bar.
Thanks to a generous sponsorship by Frankey's Sports Bar, attendees will receive one free drink and various bar bites. There is no registration fee, though we ask that you register online in advance. We look forward to seeing you there!
Friday, Oct. 20: Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Join the Public Relations Society of America, Miami Chapter on Friday, October 20 as we celebrate the 30th Annual Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon.
We will honor community leaders and legends of our industry and acknowledge incredibly promising public relations students, who have earned scholarships in support of their education through their exceptional leadership and academic accomplishments. This year's award recipients are:
2017 Bill Adams PRSA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient:
Fernando Figueredo, APR
Executive Director, Career and Talent Development Department, Florida International University
2017 Royal Palm Award recipient:
President Emeritus, United Way
The PRSA Miami Chapter will also award $20,000 in scholarships to the next generation of public relations professionals pursuing a college education at the University of Miami, Florida International University, Florida Memorial University and Miami Dade College. This year's Scholarship Recipients are:
Florida Memorial University
Shieda Y. Castillo
Miami Dade College
University of Miami
Friday, October 20, 2017
Registration and Silent Auction 11:30 a.m.
Luncheon and Awards Presentation 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
*A late fee of $10 will be added to tickets purchased after October 16, 2017
SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Proceeds benefit the Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund, established in 1985, which has awarded more than $215,000 in scholarships to 139 deserving students.
|Back to top
PRSA's “Triple Play” membership promotion is underway now through November 30. The Promo Code is FALL17.
When new members join PRSA at the $255 membership level between October 1 and November 30, they receive a complimentary Chapter membership**, a complimentary Section membership**, and the waived $65 initiation fee.
**RESTRICTIONS: If joining Counselors Academy, dues are $100 ($95 discount). Chapter dues are covered up to $100. This offer is not available for Associate member types ($200 or less annual dues) and is not available to current or renewing members. Please click here for details.
|Back to top
Becoming a Truly Trusted Strategic Ethics Advisor: Building credibility, protecting reputations
PRSA Miami & the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce present
Navigating Ethics to Restore Trust and Improve Personal and Business Success
A seminar on truth and trust in communications
Thursday, Nov. 9
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Ryder Room, Hilton Hotel
- $20.00 Member Meeting Ticket
- $30.00 Guest Meeting Ticket
- $20.00 GMCC (Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce) Members
- $15.00 PRSSA - Student Rate
Register at prsamiami.org.
PRSA Miami Tackles Public Relations Ethics in the Age of Alternative Facts and Fake News
Trust and ethics in the era of alternative facts and fake news was the focus of a spirited discussion hosted by PRSA Miami on May 10 with panelists from journalism, public relations and law. The panel was produced by Virgil Scudder, Rosemary Ravinal, Erika Mayor and Connie Crowther on behalf of the PRSA Miami Chapter. You may read a summary here, and view opening statements here.
|Back to top
Meet PRSA Miami Member: Austin Langlois
Freelance Writer and PR Consultant
Digital Communications Co-Chair, PRSA Miami
Birthplace: Seoul Korea
What accomplishment are you most proud of? In a previous position I rebranded a town (Ada Village, Michigan) and was a speechwriter for the chairman of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Who is your role model? Martha Stewart. She's a savvy business woman and didn't let a huge public failure keep her from coming back stronger than ever.
Favorite place in Miami: Sugar, at EAST
Favorite social media accounts to follow: @tacobell, @barackobama, @marthastewart
I support: The World Wildlife Fund and Heifer International
|Back to top
Congratulations are in order!
Society of Professional Journalists Honors PRSA Board Member
Virgil Scudder, received one of the three top awards for Magazine Commentary and Criticism from the Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists at the 23rd Annual Sunshine State Awards Dinner at the University of Miami this July.
Scudder was recognized for the “In the C-Suite”columns that he wrote for the Public Relations Strategist. The “C-Suite” columns focused on communications challenges faced by top management of both large and small organizations, placing special emphasis on crisis management. The pieces are available for reading and viewing on his website at www.virgilscudder.com/news.
Award-Winning Agency Continues Winning Streak
rbb Communications brought home a coveted Silver Anvil award for Hampton by Hilton’s U.S. Hispanic program in the Multicultural category. Additionally, Florida Power & Light Company's Manatee Lagoon was named a finalist in the Community Relations category.
|Back to top
Job Title: Coordinator, Communications
Department: Strategic Development & Marketing Department
Reports to: Senior Manager, Sponsor Development & Communications
Position Overview: The Coordinator, Communications works with the Senior Manager, Sponsor Development & Communications handling all internal and external media and communication efforts for Best Buddies International, Inc. Candidates must be collaborative in nature and equipped with a strong work ethic. As a member of a small team that is known for hustle and high-quality work, this position will provide intense exposure to the field of public relations. On-the-job training will be provided and quick learning is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Mass Communications or related field of study
- 1-2 years of professional experience in either Public Relations, Mass Communications, Journalism or related field
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills
- Strong command of AP Style
- Extensive knowledge of the media, including the ability to differentiate between news and non-news events
- Ability to write and pitch a press release to targeted members of the media
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft, WordPress, Meltwater, Cision, TVEyes, InDesign software programs
- Proven project management skills and the ability to work with external PR agencies
- Learn and maintain a complete understanding of all Best Buddies programs and events in order to discuss these in detail with members of the media for publicity purposes
- Ability to provide quality results under pressure and strict deadlines
- Candidates should be responsible, dependable, organized, deadline-oriented and creative
Job Duties included, but are not limited to:
- Write and distribute press releases pertaining to story pitches and special events
- Create and execute a detailed, tactical PR plan to generate publicity for local/national events and initiatives
- Manage the organization’s national Communications Calendar and proactively draft monthly emails to be routed internally to senior level executives for approval
- Plan and execute all media aspects during special events, including pitching and securing media placements before, during, and after the event; setting up TV live shots and/or media platforms, managing internal photographers (both video and still), and facilitating the needs of attending media
- Serve as the PR liaison between Best Buddies headquarters and state offices; Provide public relations support to state offices and oversee the production of public relations materials for all offices and departments
- Work with journalists and Best Buddies staff to come up with story ideas, interviewees, coordinate all logistics, and prepare all parties (journalists and Best Buddies reps) for interviews (i.e. background, talking points, props, visuals, etc.)
- Keep up with current events and scan the media for opportunities to place Best Buddies (staff/key supporters) into stories about philanthropic organizations, key fundraising events, human interest stories, etc.
- Identify compelling stories and media opportunities that align with Best Buddies' communications strategy and goals; Proactively pitch newsworthy items to media
- Locate, clip and file all press pieces (print, broadcast and online) pertaining to Best Buddies, its key supporters (when related with Best Buddies, staff, programs and special events); maintain organized archives of video footage and broadcast clips
- Manage the production of the Best Buddies Newsletter, the organization’s quarterly newsmagazine
- Manage and regularly update the News section of the Best Buddies website
- Monitor social media, media clippings and online mentions of Best Buddies
- Draft content for Best Buddies International’s social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
- Maintain consistent use of facts, figures and language throughout the organization through effective internal communications tools
- Ensure accurate information is provided to media to create greater awareness and understanding of the Best Buddies' mission and global impact
- This position requires 15% travel for work-related events
- Works extended hours/nights/weekends as needed during Special Events
To apply, please submit the REQUIRED information below and availability to interview in person:
Apply for Communications Coordinator using the link below:
Three (3) recent writing samples
Three (3) professional references (Please note that all references will be checked)
Also, please be prepared to complete an in-person writing test and grammar exam if/when interviewed.
Public Relations Assistant Account Executive
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Miami-based nationally ranked PR firm seeks smart and resourceful PR professionals to join its growing team.
Join rbb, four-time PR agency of the year, and jump start your career in communications. If you have impeccable grammar, learn quickly, have a mastery of Microsoft Office and embrace hard work, we want to meet you.
rbb is consistently named one of the best places to work in Florida and across the country.
Enjoy an award-winning work environment, competitive salary and endless customizable benefits -- including 401K with match, flexible schedules, laptop and other tech toys, professional development and career growth.
- College graduate with minimum 1 year PR experience (internships count!)
- A passion for news and social media
- Flawless grammar and experience with AP Style
- Perfect proofreading skills
- Resourceful with the ability to make smart decisions quickly
- Desire to learn and grow with one of the country’s top PR agencies
- Bilingual is a bonus (English/Spanish)
To apply, pitch us on why we should hire you and email resume and availability to interview in person to firstname.lastname@example.org with “AAE Candidate” in the subject line.
|Back to top