Wednesday, Oct. 18: PRSA Miami & Fort Lauderdale Joint Mixer
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Frankey's Sports Bar, The Village at Gulfstream Park
Never has networking been so much fun! Members and friends of PRSA’s Miami and Greater Fort Lauderdale chapters will meet in the middle at Frankey's Sports Bar for yummy apps, signature cocktails and stimulating conversation. Not to mention exciting chances to win gift certificates to Adena Grill and Wine Bar and Frankey’s Sports Bar.
Thanks to a generous sponsorship by Frankey's Sports Bar, attendees will receive one free drink and various bar bites. There is no registration fee, though we ask that you register online in advance. We look forward to seeing you there!
Friday, Oct. 20: Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Join the Public Relations Society of America, Miami Chapter on Friday, October 20 as we celebrate the 30th Annual Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon.
We will honor community leaders and legends of our industry and acknowledge incredibly promising public relations students, who have earned scholarships in support of their education through their exceptional leadership and academic accomplishments. This year's award recipients are:
2017 Bill Adams PRSA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient:
Fernando Figueredo, APR
Executive Director, Career and Talent Development Department, Florida International University
2017 Royal Palm Award recipient:
President Emeritus, United Way
The PRSA Miami Chapter will also award $20,000 in scholarships to the next generation of public relations professionals pursuing a college education at the University of Miami, Florida International University, Florida Memorial University and Miami Dade College. This year's Scholarship Recipients are:
Florida Memorial University
Miami Dade College
University of Miami
Friday, October 20, 2017
Registration and Silent Auction 11:30 a.m.
Luncheon and Awards Presentation 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
*A late fee of $10 will be added to tickets purchased after October 16, 2017
SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Proceeds benefit the Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund, established in 1985, which has awarded more than $215,000 in scholarships to 139 deserving students.
Current PRSA National Promotions
PRSA's “Triple Play” membership promotion is underway now through November 30. The Promo Code is FALL17.
When new members join PRSA at the $255 membership level between October 1 and November 30, they receive a complimentary Chapter membership**, a complimentary Section membership**, and the waived $65 initiation fee.
**RESTRICTIONS: If joining Counselors Academy, dues are $100 ($95 discount). Chapter dues are covered up to $100. This offer is not available for Associate member types ($200 or less annual dues) and is not available to current or renewing members. Please click here for details.
Let's Talk Ethics
Becoming a Truly Trusted Strategic Ethics Advisor: Building credibility, protecting reputations
- Featuring BEPS members: James E. Lukaszewski, ABC, IABC Fellow; APR, Fellow PRSA, BEPS Emeritus;Nance Larsen, APR, Fellow PRSAand Chair of BEPS; and Janelle Guthrie, APR, Fellow PRSA.
- Full Price: $200
- Members: Free! Register
PRSA Miami & the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce present
Navigating Ethics to Restore Trust and Improve Personal and Business Success
A seminar on truth and trust in communications
Thursday, Nov. 9
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Ryder Room, Hilton Hotel
- $20.00 Member Meeting Ticket
- $30.00 Guest Meeting Ticket
- $20.00 GMCC (Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce) Members
- $15.00 PRSSA - Student Rate
Register at prsamiami.org.
PRSA Miami Tackles Public Relations Ethics in the Age of Alternative Facts and Fake News
Trust and ethics in the era of alternative facts and fake news was the focus of a spirited discussion hosted by PRSA Miami on May 10 with panelists from journalism, public relations and law. The panel was produced by Virgil Scudder, Rosemary Ravinal, Erika Mayor and Connie Crowther on behalf of the PRSA Miami Chapter. You may read a summary here, and view opening statements here.
Meet PRSA Miami Member: Austin Langlois
Freelance Writer and PR Consultant
Digital Communications Co-Chair, PRSA Miami
Birthplace: Seoul Korea
What accomplishment are you most proud of? In a previous position I rebranded a town (Ada Village, Michigan) and was a speechwriter for the chairman of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Who is your role model? Martha Stewart. She's a savvy business woman and didn't let a huge public failure keep her from coming back stronger than ever.
Favorite place in Miami: Sugar, at EAST
Favorite social media accounts to follow: @tacobell, @barackobama, @marthastewart
I support: The World Wildlife Fund and Heifer International
Congratulations are in order!
Society of Professional Journalists Honors PRSA Board Member
Virgil Scudder, received one of the three top awards for Magazine Commentary and Criticism from the Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists at the 23rd Annual Sunshine State Awards Dinner at the University of Miami this July.
Scudder was recognized for the “In the C-Suite”columns that he wrote for the Public Relations Strategist. The “C-Suite” columns focused on communications challenges faced by top management of both large and small organizations, placing special emphasis on crisis management. The pieces are available for reading and viewing on his website at www.virgilscudder.com/news.
Award-Winning Agency Continues Winning Streak
rbb Communications brought home a coveted Silver Anvil award for Hampton by Hilton’s U.S. Hispanic program in the Multicultural category. Additionally, Florida Power & Light Company's Manatee Lagoon was named a finalist in the Community Relations category.
We are seeking a highly-organized energetic public relations professional to join the Crystal family. Crystal’s Public Relations Specialist will collaborate and work cross-functionally across all areas of public relations including media relations, events, executive communications, social media and charity donations.
WHO WE ARE:
Since the beginning, Crystal has been the standard-bearer for excellence in luxury travel, remaining the undisputed choice among the savviest world travelers. Today, we are redefining it altogether, expanding the possibilities for our guests with choices, experiences and luxuries unmatched in the industry. By Ocean, River, Yacht, Expedition and Air, each Crystal Experience is designed to showcase the world and its wonders in the most remarkable ways.
Only the world-renowned Crystal Experience offers an unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence and luxury across four distinct cruising options: Crystal Cruises, the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line; Crystal River Cruises, the World’s Most Luxurious River Cruise Line; Crystal Yacht Cruises, offering boutique luxury and bold adventure in the world’s most elite harbors; and the upcoming Crystal Yacht Expedition Cruises, taking Crystal’s acclaimed elegance to the farthest reaches of the world. Crystal has been recognized with top honors in the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards for a record 26 years.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Specialist duties include:
- Proofreading and overseeing the final distribution of press releases and press kits to media and uploading of press materials to media center on website. Proofing Crystal Insider Blog.
- Maintaining and ensuring that all information is current on the Media Center.
- Making extensive travel arrangements for media and external partners, managing media bookings and providing department with updated travel itineraries and confirmations.
- Arranging onboard clearance and accommodations when required.
- Escorting media trips as needed.
- Producing Public Relations Department media coverage reports and maintaining media lists.
- Working with both PR and Social Media agencies to research, provide copy and information as needed to meet deadlines.
- Assisting Social Media Agency with editorial calendar as well as ideation and monitoring social media sites.
- Managing Cruise Donation Program including receiving of requests, organizing event attendance, facilitating event signage and materials and liaising with charities.
- Coordinating special events including planning, budgeting, reports, tracking, etc.
- Answering phones.
- Coding and processing invoices, tracking monthly costs and providing department head with recaps.
- Maintaining department files/records.
- Handling related projects and assignments as assigned.
INCIDENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plan meetings as assigned
- Plan department events/meetings as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- College degree required
- Marketing, Communication, Journalism or English major is helpful
- 2 or more years in Corporate Communications role or PR agency
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Outlook.
- Understanding of HTML and WordPress a plus.
- Technical database and event software understanding a plus.
- Basic understanding of standard computer software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
- Must possess a positive, team-player attitude.
- Calm demeanor under extreme pressure and deadlines.
- Must be able to work overtime as projects require.
- Able to perform multiple duties at once.
- Self-starter, able to work with little supervision.
All Applications should apply through the Crystal Cruises Career Portal.
Suited for Success Miami - Social Media Volunteer
Volunteer opportunities will be located at the Suited for Success office at the Culmer Center, 1600 NW 3rd Ave., Suite 111, Miami, FL 33136. All internships are unpaid for experience only, and can be adjusted to a student’s strengths/interests. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and 2-4 content samples (blog/social media posts, campaigns, videos, etc.) to Executive Director Sonia Jacobson at [email protected].
Established and small nonprofit is looking to bring on a social media volunteer to support our social media and marketing efforts. The assignment will include one day a week in the office (10:30am – 2:30 pm; 4 hours) plus up to 4 hours a week from home or at off-site events outside of office hours. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer. Duration of assignment is a minimum of 3 months with option to extend.
- Create and curate content for Suited for Success / Dress for Success Miami social media profiles (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), including photos, graphics, videos, and copy, according to organizational standards.
- Help manage social media posting schedule to achieve optimal engagement, awareness, and fundraising goals.
- Strong writing and communication skills. Experience with mission-driven campaigns a plus.
- Good eye for compelling visuals and basic photography, video, and graphics skills (such as mobile photo apps, iMovie, Canva)
- Social media management experience (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Experience with email marketing systems (Mailchimp) and Wordpress CMS a plus.
- Must have own transportation to office and/or events and reliable cell phone/internet access.
About Suited for Success / Dress for Success Miami
Founded in 1994, Suited for Success (SFS) was started to help welfare recipients enter the workforce by providing them with appropriate clothing for interviews and jobs. The organization expanded to serve youth (since 1998) and men (since 1999). Experience quickly showed that business clothing is essential, but not sufficient to get and keep a job, so SFS created tailored workshops on job interview readiness, professional image, communication skills, and business etiquette. Since 1994, Suited for Success has served more than 60,000 individuals with job training and clothing to support their job search needs and help them secure employment. Its women’s program, Dress for Success Miami, is an affiliate of Dress for Success, which has more than 140 locations in 20 countries. Learn more at http://www.suitedforsuccess.org/.