Wednesday, Oct. 18: PRSA Miami & Fort Lauderdale Joint Mixer
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Frankey's Sports Bar, The Village at Gulfstream Park
Never has networking been so much fun! Members and friends of PRSA’s Miami and Greater Fort Lauderdale chapters will meet in the middle at Frankey's Sports Bar for yummy apps, signature cocktails and stimulating conversation. Not to mention exciting chances to win gift certificates to Adena Grill and Wine Bar and Frankey’s Sports Bar.
Thanks to a generous sponsorship by Frankey's Sports Bar, attendees will receive one free drink and various bar bites. There is no registration fee, though we ask that you register online in advance. We look forward to seeing you there!
Friday, Oct. 20: Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Join the Public Relations Society of America, Miami Chapter on Friday, October 20 as we celebrate the 30th Annual Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon.
We will honor community leaders and legends of our industry and acknowledge incredibly promising public relations students, who have earned scholarships in support of their education through their exceptional leadership and academic accomplishments. This year's award recipients are:
2017 Bill Adams PRSA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient:
Fernando Figueredo, APR
Executive Director, Career and Talent Development Department, Florida International University
2017 Royal Palm Award recipient:
President Emeritus, United Way
The PRSA Miami Chapter will also award $20,000 in scholarships to the next generation of public relations professionals pursuing a college education at the University of Miami, Florida International University, Florida Memorial University and Miami Dade College. This year's Scholarship Recipients are:
Florida Memorial University
Miami Dade College
University of Miami
Friday, October 20, 2017
Registration and Silent Auction 11:30 a.m.
Luncheon and Awards Presentation 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
*A late fee of $10 will be added to tickets purchased after October 16, 2017
SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Proceeds benefit the Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund, established in 1985, which has awarded more than $215,000 in scholarships to 139 deserving students.
Current PRSA National Promotions
PRSA's “Triple Play” membership promotion is underway now through November 30. The Promo Code is FALL17.
When new members join PRSA at the $255 membership level between October 1 and November 30, they receive a complimentary Chapter membership**, a complimentary Section membership**, and the waived $65 initiation fee.
**RESTRICTIONS: If joining Counselors Academy, dues are $100 ($95 discount). Chapter dues are covered up to $100. This offer is not available for Associate member types ($200 or less annual dues) and is not available to current or renewing members. Please click here for details.
Let's Talk Ethics
Becoming a Truly Trusted Strategic Ethics Advisor: Building credibility, protecting reputations
- Featuring BEPS members: James E. Lukaszewski, ABC, IABC Fellow; APR, Fellow PRSA, BEPS Emeritus;Nance Larsen, APR, Fellow PRSAand Chair of BEPS; and Janelle Guthrie, APR, Fellow PRSA.
- Full Price: $200
- Members: Free! Register
PRSA Miami & the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce present
Navigating Ethics to Restore Trust and Improve Personal and Business Success
A seminar on truth and trust in communications
Thursday, Nov. 9
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Ryder Room, Hilton Hotel
- $20.00 Member Meeting Ticket
- $30.00 Guest Meeting Ticket
- $20.00 GMCC (Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce) Members
- $15.00 PRSSA - Student Rate
Register at prsamiami.org.
PRSA Miami Tackles Public Relations Ethics in the Age of Alternative Facts and Fake News
Trust and ethics in the era of alternative facts and fake news was the focus of a spirited discussion hosted by PRSA Miami on May 10 with panelists from journalism, public relations and law. The panel was produced by Virgil Scudder, Rosemary Ravinal, Erika Mayor and Connie Crowther on behalf of the PRSA Miami Chapter. You may read a summary here, and view opening statements here.
Meet PRSA Miami Member: Austin Langlois
Freelance Writer and PR Consultant
Digital Communications Co-Chair, PRSA Miami
Birthplace: Seoul Korea
What accomplishment are you most proud of? In a previous position I rebranded a town (Ada Village, Michigan) and was a speechwriter for the chairman of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Who is your role model? Martha Stewart. She's a savvy business woman and didn't let a huge public failure keep her from coming back stronger than ever.
Favorite place in Miami: Sugar, at EAST
Favorite social media accounts to follow: @tacobell, @barackobama, @marthastewart
I support: The World Wildlife Fund and Heifer International
Congratulations are in order!
Society of Professional Journalists Honors PRSA Board Member
Virgil Scudder, received one of the three top awards for Magazine Commentary and Criticism from the Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists at the 23rd Annual Sunshine State Awards Dinner at the University of Miami this July.
Scudder was recognized for the “In the C-Suite”columns that he wrote for the Public Relations Strategist. The “C-Suite” columns focused on communications challenges faced by top management of both large and small organizations, placing special emphasis on crisis management. The pieces are available for reading and viewing on his website at www.virgilscudder.com/news.
Award-Winning Agency Continues Winning Streak
rbb Communications brought home a coveted Silver Anvil award for Hampton by Hilton’s U.S. Hispanic program in the Multicultural category. Additionally, Florida Power & Light Company's Manatee Lagoon was named a finalist in the Community Relations category.
CHLI COMMUNICATIONS FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (CHLI) is the premier organization founded by Members of Congress to advance the Hispanic Community's Economic Progress with a focus on Social Responsibility and Global Competitiveness.
The CHLI Communications Fellowship Program provides recent college graduates with the opportunity to assist the Creative Communications and Marketing Director in the execution of CHLI’s communication and marketing strategy for the organization. The program will help the recent graduate develop an understanding of how the federal government and congress functions, how non-profits are structured, and how communications benefits the individual and the organization as a whole.
The program places fellows with a national non-profit based in Washington, D.C., in the heart of policymaking. Fellows gain educational and hands-on experience in areas related to publications, web development, podcasts, blogs, traditional media, and social media engagement. The program covers:
Online soft skills and professional development workshops
Weekly virtual networking opportunities with influential leaders
Virtual hangout space, where the CHLI communications team can live chat, jump on video, share files, post photos and collaborate throughout the day to mimic everyday office life
Enrollment in the CHLI Alumni Association to build your network and establish new relationships
Access to CHLI’s Adobe Creative Cloud
Six (6) months Spotify premium service subscription
For details click:
It’s also posted in the LinkedIn Page of the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6678776293204471808
Content Writer Job Overview
LM&A Consulting is looking for a Content Writer to help with current and new clients. This is an independent contractor position working on a project by project basis with an hourly rate. LM&A Consulting is a cross-cultural, integrative consulting firm specializing in business
strategy, organizational development, executive coaching, leadership positioning, philanthropic growth, and marketing. For more information visit lmaconsultants.com.
• Produce well-researched and compelling content pieces from topic ideation to polished final drafts in a variety of topics spanning from non-profit fundraising to new business development for online and print publication
• Organize writing schedules to complete drafts of content or finished projects within deadlines
• Utilize industry best practices and familiarity with the organization's mission and objectives to inspire ideas and content
• Develop related content for multiple platforms, such as websites, email marketing, social media, product descriptions, videos, blogs, and others
• Work with other members of the Digital Marketing & Public Relations teams to help bring content strategies to life across digital channels
• Bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in a college/university degree program
• Proven record of excellent writing demonstrated in a professional portfolio. Candidate must also have the ability to copy write for design (i.e. with an end visual in mind)
• Impeccable grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
• Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision while being open to a collaborative environment
• Strong critical analysis and interpersonal skills with a positive and passionate disposition
• Willingness to communicate/share ideas or opinions with clients, colleagues, and management
• Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail
• Resourcefulness and ability to think on his/her own feet
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office or Apple office programs
• Strict adherence to the style guides of each company and their policies for publication