Wednesday, Oct. 18: PRSA Miami & Fort Lauderdale Joint Mixer
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Frankey's Sports Bar, The Village at Gulfstream Park
Never has networking been so much fun! Members and friends of PRSA’s Miami and Greater Fort Lauderdale chapters will meet in the middle at Frankey's Sports Bar for yummy apps, signature cocktails and stimulating conversation. Not to mention exciting chances to win gift certificates to Adena Grill and Wine Bar and Frankey’s Sports Bar.
Thanks to a generous sponsorship by Frankey's Sports Bar, attendees will receive one free drink and various bar bites. There is no registration fee, though we ask that you register online in advance. We look forward to seeing you there!
Friday, Oct. 20: Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Join the Public Relations Society of America, Miami Chapter on Friday, October 20 as we celebrate the 30th Annual Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund Luncheon.
We will honor community leaders and legends of our industry and acknowledge incredibly promising public relations students, who have earned scholarships in support of their education through their exceptional leadership and academic accomplishments. This year's award recipients are:
2017 Bill Adams PRSA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient:
Fernando Figueredo, APR
Executive Director, Career and Talent Development Department, Florida International University
2017 Royal Palm Award recipient:
President Emeritus, United Way
The PRSA Miami Chapter will also award $20,000 in scholarships to the next generation of public relations professionals pursuing a college education at the University of Miami, Florida International University, Florida Memorial University and Miami Dade College. This year's Scholarship Recipients are:
Florida Memorial University
Miami Dade College
University of Miami
Friday, October 20, 2017
Registration and Silent Auction 11:30 a.m.
Luncheon and Awards Presentation 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
*A late fee of $10 will be added to tickets purchased after October 16, 2017
SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Proceeds benefit the Ev Clay/PRSA Miami Chapter Endowment Fund, established in 1985, which has awarded more than $215,000 in scholarships to 139 deserving students.
Current PRSA National Promotions
PRSA's “Triple Play” membership promotion is underway now through November 30. The Promo Code is FALL17.
When new members join PRSA at the $255 membership level between October 1 and November 30, they receive a complimentary Chapter membership**, a complimentary Section membership**, and the waived $65 initiation fee.
**RESTRICTIONS: If joining Counselors Academy, dues are $100 ($95 discount). Chapter dues are covered up to $100. This offer is not available for Associate member types ($200 or less annual dues) and is not available to current or renewing members. Please click here for details.
Let's Talk Ethics
Becoming a Truly Trusted Strategic Ethics Advisor: Building credibility, protecting reputations
- Featuring BEPS members: James E. Lukaszewski, ABC, IABC Fellow; APR, Fellow PRSA, BEPS Emeritus;Nance Larsen, APR, Fellow PRSAand Chair of BEPS; and Janelle Guthrie, APR, Fellow PRSA.
- Full Price: $200
- Members: Free! Register
PRSA Miami & the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce present
Navigating Ethics to Restore Trust and Improve Personal and Business Success
A seminar on truth and trust in communications
Thursday, Nov. 9
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Ryder Room, Hilton Hotel
- $20.00 Member Meeting Ticket
- $30.00 Guest Meeting Ticket
- $20.00 GMCC (Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce) Members
- $15.00 PRSSA - Student Rate
Register at prsamiami.org.
PRSA Miami Tackles Public Relations Ethics in the Age of Alternative Facts and Fake News
Trust and ethics in the era of alternative facts and fake news was the focus of a spirited discussion hosted by PRSA Miami on May 10 with panelists from journalism, public relations and law. The panel was produced by Virgil Scudder, Rosemary Ravinal, Erika Mayor and Connie Crowther on behalf of the PRSA Miami Chapter. You may read a summary here, and view opening statements here.
Meet PRSA Miami Member: Austin Langlois
Freelance Writer and PR Consultant
Digital Communications Co-Chair, PRSA Miami
Birthplace: Seoul Korea
What accomplishment are you most proud of? In a previous position I rebranded a town (Ada Village, Michigan) and was a speechwriter for the chairman of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Who is your role model? Martha Stewart. She's a savvy business woman and didn't let a huge public failure keep her from coming back stronger than ever.
Favorite place in Miami: Sugar, at EAST
Favorite social media accounts to follow: @tacobell, @barackobama, @marthastewart
I support: The World Wildlife Fund and Heifer International
Congratulations are in order!
Society of Professional Journalists Honors PRSA Board Member
Virgil Scudder, received one of the three top awards for Magazine Commentary and Criticism from the Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists at the 23rd Annual Sunshine State Awards Dinner at the University of Miami this July.
Scudder was recognized for the “In the C-Suite”columns that he wrote for the Public Relations Strategist. The “C-Suite” columns focused on communications challenges faced by top management of both large and small organizations, placing special emphasis on crisis management. The pieces are available for reading and viewing on his website at www.virgilscudder.com/news.
Award-Winning Agency Continues Winning Streak
rbb Communications brought home a coveted Silver Anvil award for Hampton by Hilton’s U.S. Hispanic program in the Multicultural category. Additionally, Florida Power & Light Company's Manatee Lagoon was named a finalist in the Community Relations category.
Job Description: Social Media Manager
Who are we?
Schwartz Media Strategies is an integrated communications firm that creates winning public relations, marketing and digital media campaigns for companies and organizations in South Florida and across the state. Each of our campaigns is centered on strengthening and protecting brands through compelling, creative storytelling.
That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a content creator who knows how to connect with people through multiple mediums – be it design, video, social media, or words on a page. Sure, we’re a communications firm… but we’re also a publishing house. On any given day, our team is busy producing videos, blog posts, infographics, website copy, podcasts, the list goes on. With our company growing at a steady pace and the list of services we deliver to our clients getting longer, we need help doing all the above (and more!).
So, what makes an ideal candidate?
At a minimum, you have 3 years of experience creating content that captures attention, simplifies complex ideas and sparks people to action. You thrive when working within teams. You follow the news. You know how to make beautiful designs, edit captivating videos, and write copy that makes an impact. You get excited about multi-tasking, both in terms of the types of projects you’ll be working on in any given day and the industries in which you’ll be immersed – from real estate and professional services, to destinations and public affairs. Lastly, you are organized, curious, and unafraid to take calculated risks.
- Create and implement social media and digital marketing strategies
- Day-to-day management of key social web platforms – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, etc.
- Produce, source and publish content such as graphics, videos, and written copy
- Develop and manage social media advertising campaigns
- Write and publish blog posts
- Assist in producing email marketing campaigns
- Regular monitoring and reporting of results
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management capabilities, with the ability to multitask
- Desire to work with a variety of clients across different industries
- Highly motivated, resourceful and independent with the ability to deliver under pressure
- Ability to read and write in Spanish is a plus, but not necessary
What we offer at SMS:
- Competitive salaries and growth opportunities
- We pay 75% of employees’ health and dental insurance premiums
- Three weeks of paid time off annually
- New business generation bonuses
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Interested, qualified candidates please send information to [email protected] or apply via LinkedIn. For more information on our firm, visit us at: www.schwartz-media.com.
******This position will be located in South Florida Miami Location*****
The Senior Regional Communications Lead will develop and execute work accountability. Develop and execute, and measure results of, communications which position the company as the leader in health care through strategic media relations, reputation management, issues management, proactive thought leadership and creative internal and external messaging. Utilize a variety of technology, tools and communications channels to leverage the company’s position and create influencing opportunities with key stakeholders.
- Develop and execute proactive plans, programs and results-oriented communications to ensure the unique voice of the organization in the marketplace through integration across the regions and with functional areas of the company (Sales, Product, Marketing, Service HR, Care, Government Relations, Corporate Social Responsibility, and others) to differentiate the company in the marketplace.
- Develop internal and external messaging and materials for the company and executives, including but not limited to news releases, articles, talking points, videos, presentations, scripts, social media content, etc.
- Manage and respond to issues and crises that present either opportunities or threats to the company's reputation; work regionally, across the company and externally on appropriate resolution and response.
- Develop and coordinate strategic opportunities, plans and messaging for assets, organizations and business leaders across the GuideWell enterprise, ensuring alignment to business goals; serve as a media liaison and spokesperson; represent the company at community events and with community partners
- Serve as strategic communications advocate and advisor both internally -- to regional president and other leaders throughout the company-- and externally. Engage with colleagues and partners, community organizations (universities, sports franchises, non-profits, chambers of commerce, etc.) as well as others, to design and deliver integrated and impactful communications.
- Align corporate and regional goals and opportunities that serve and meet the needs of diverse audiences; collaboration and through cohesive and thoughtful communication that differentiate the company.
- Support our hyperlocal strategy by serving as a critical link between the new local markets operating model and Enterprise Communications to strategically highlight our deep roots across Florida and leveraging strong community ties, networks and relationships to strengthen connectivity with members, providers, policymakers and communities.
6+ years related work experience.
Related Bachelor's degree required
Exceptional writing and editing skills
Experience in the development and execution of communication strategies that are aligned with business goals.
Experience communicating effectively, through multiple channels and tactics, with targeted audiences and in multicultural environments.
Experience working with communication measurement methodologies, appropriate use of data assessments to monitor and analyze results. Experience with consulting, negotiating and influencing management at all levels; exceptional collaboration skills.
Experience with effectively utilizing a mix of creative internal/external communications tactics, including social media, to achieve desired outcomes.
Master’s degree Related field
Health care/insurance experience.
Experience supporting organizational transformation or significant change.
Must be able to travel to multiple locations for work (i.e. travel to attend meetings, events, conferences). Frequently
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled.